Thin Film Coatings Quality Engineer
Position: Thin Film Coatings Quality Engineer
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports To: Quality Assurance Manager
Edmund Optics, an industry leader in the design, manufacturing, and sale of precision optics and optical components for over 75 years is hiring! As a global, family-owned company, employees are key to our success. Our culture is at the heart of everything we do, and the company’s Core Values demonstrate our commitment to act as one family, do what is best for the customer, drive innovation through continuous improvement, and to be proud of what we do. As we work to continue to be technological leaders in the industry, we seek those who are prepared to learn, engage, grow, and enable the future through optics.
The Thin Film Coatings Quality Engineer works in conjunction with R&D and Manufacturing to perform Laser Damage Testing (LDT) and Analysis, and supports Quality Assurance with management of our global Spectroscopy platforms.
- Perform Laser Damage Threshold (LDT) measurements on thin film coatings
- Determine quality improvement parameters by identifying statistical methods relevant to manufacturing processes
- Establish statistical confidence by identifying sample size and acceptable error; determining levels of confidence
- Establish statistical reliability by using Weibull 3-parameter distribution, reliability modeling, and reliability demonstration tests
- Complete screening and factorial DOE studies in order to understand the effect on LDT vs changes made in the process by the thin film coatings department or substrate producer
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data; making recommendations
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices
- Manages calibration and maintenance of Spectrophotometers
- Develops methods for testing of Optical Coating performance, providing documentation and training to Quality Assurance Inspectors and Manufacturing
- Plans and conducts Measurement Systems Analysis as required
- Supports global Sales, Quality Assurance, and Supply Chain in investigation and resolution of field failure
- Supports and participates in Lean/Six Sigma initiatives
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint proficient
- Working knowledge of Matlab, SQL, or other statistical software
- Able to work in a clean-room environment
B.S. or higher in Optics, Physics, Math, Computer/Data Science. 0-2 Years in a laboratory setting, ideally in Optical Coatings, Spectroscopy, or in a Laser Lab. Excellent problem-solving skills; applied knowledge of statistical analysis techniques.
Ability to lift up to 30 pounds and operate office equipment such as a copier; ability to see details at a close range; ability to sit at desk or PC for long periods of time; ability to travel.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.