Defense Project Manager
Position: Defense Project Manager
Department: R&D Barrington
Reports To: Sr. Project Manager, Engineering
The Defense Project Manager will be knowledgeable in optical assemblies in addition to being a passionate engineer who can provide technical support for the development and testing of complex assemblies requiring environmental testing including shock & vibration, thermal shock, pressure sealing and emersion testing for defense and commercial products. The Defense Project Manager would work closely with external customers and Engineering to outline design specifications. They will review and approve design proposals for prospective products to specify test methods and assist hands-on in the development of test beds for product. Ability to independently complete opto-mechanical designs to meet environmental testing requirements a plus. Previous project management experience a plus.
- Asses & develop project feasibilities, project plans and compliance matrices
- Customer point of contact for external projects on technical issues
- Work with engineering to establish test requirements and resources
- Develop and manage risk assessment and risk mitigation plans through risks analysis
- Coordinates all activities to meet project cost, schedule, and performance of multiple assigned projects
- Interface with product line management for spec development on internal projects
- Head project meetings and present project schedule and status to customers and management
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures and regulations
- Experience in the qualification of assemblies requiring environmental testing including shock, vibration, thermal shock, pressure sealing and emersion testing for defense and commercial products Hands-on experience in the development and testing of complex assemblies
- Job Shop manufacturing knowledge
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with customers and various levels of technical staff
- Conflict resolution and negotiation
- PC skills: Excel, Word, & familiarity with mechanical and optical design software
- 3-5+ years previous experience or equivalent in the Optics industry
- Minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering or equivalent experience
Minimum B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering or equivalent experience.
Ability to occasionally lifts, carries, or moves objects up to 50 pounds; ability to sit or stand for long periods of time; work in office and/or lab setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.