Sr. Optics Manufacturing Technician (LIV)
Position: Sr. Optics Manufacturing Technician (LIV)
Department: Fabrication Cell
Reports To: Fab Cell Manager
Edmund Optics, an industry leader in the design, manufacturing, and sale of precision optics and optical components for over 75 years is hiring! As a global, family-owned company, employees are key to our success. Our culture is at the heart of everything we do, and the company’s Core Values demonstrate our commitment to act as one family, do what is best for the customer, drive innovation through continuous improvement, and to be proud of what we do. As we work to continue to be technological leaders in the industry, we seek those who are prepared to learn, engage, grow, and enable the future through optics.
The Sr. Optics Manufacturing Technician (Sr. OMT) is responsible for training new technicians and, under the direction of the Fab Cell Manager and/or Manufacturing Engineer, the development/improvement of processes & techniques for manufacturing.
- Develop/Improve processes & techniques in optical manufacturing
- Fabricate optical components on an expedited timeline
- Develop work instructions and procedures for processes
- Assist Fab Cell manager & Manufacturing Engineering in qualifying new equipment
- Support R&D engineering projects as needed
- Assist with quoting price & lead time for new jobs
- Work with Production Control in creating material routings
- Perform visual inspections of optics for defects related to fabrication
- Perform optical tests, including interferometric tests, as applicable to determine compliance to specifications
- May be required to use a ladder to organize or obtain supplies
- May be required to use shop and power tools
- Participate in 6S activities which include but are not limited to cleaning, organizing, sweeping, and mopping work area
- Other duties as assigned
- Work overtime as required
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Mastery of optical manufacturing (Master Optician) with a concentration in spherical optics
- Ability to read and understand spec sheets, blue prints, work orders and work instructions
- Ability to think critically and solve complex problems
- Experience with job planning, writing routing instructions and scheduling priorities
- Mechanical and visual acuity skill sets to facilitate the fabrication process to the required specifications
- Experience with Zygo MetroPro and or Zygo Mx or similar interferometers and their software
- Knowledge of G-Code & M-Code programming, CADCAM programming, and MS Excel is a plus
- Ability to use root cause analysis techniques for corrective action solutions and continuous process improvement
- General computer skills
- Associates Degree or equivalent technical schooling preferred
- 10+ yrs. Conventional optics fabrication experience desired
- Experience acting as lead technician
- Experience training and working with new technicians, mentoring them to higher skill levels
- CNC optics fabrication, machine setups and testing, SatisLOH and OptiPro a plus
Adequate manual dexterity to perform essential functions; ability to use some physical efforts in the handling of heavy materials and machinery (most tasks require no more than 50 lbs. lifting); position requires about 80% standing; ability to work in manufacturing environment.
- Work overtime as required
- US Citizenship or permanent residence required
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.